We have all heard so many tragic stories about young children falling to their deaths from a balcony or a window. Take steps to prevent these tragic accidents.
- Never let little ones get onto a balcony unless somebody is with them. Secure access doors and windows.
- Never let little ones clamber up to a window or to balcony rails. Chairs, sofas, tables, plant pots, toys lying around? Little guys can climb these.
- Are the balcony rails or walls high enough? Dubai Authorities stipulate 90 cm.
- Is there a ‘step-up’ wall, or any other kind of ‘step-up’ which reduces this height? Like the one over here on the right >>
- Are the gaps between balcony railings too wide? 9 or 10 cm should be the maximum. If a little head can squeeze through so can a little body.
- And worse – are the rails horizontal, like a ladder! Or do the rails or brickwork offer neat little footholds like a climbing frame?!
Be aware. Prevent the unthinkable from happening.